- A 10% across the board Purse increase will go into effect Saturday March 16th.
- No significant progress in talks between Calder and Gulfstream. Tim Ritvo reiterated GP’s commitment to run 2 days/week beginning July 1. Running on Mondays and Tuesdays from April through June is still a possibility. A firm decision should be made by the end of March.
- If you stable at GP through the summer meet, you will be guaranteed stalls throughout the “winter meet” at Gulfstream. This will be put in writing.
- Currently there are over 1700 stalls applied for at GP.
- It’s being considered to have the race day run from 3 or 4pm – 7 pm on Saturdays and Sundays during the summer; 8 races per day.
- Work is to begin very shortly on the $1 million drainage system designed to handle excess water on the track surfaces. As soon as the current meet ends, sand will be added and mixed gradually into the main track surface on the main track.
- Advertising and various promotions for the summer meet will be significant, although not to the same degree as for the winter meet.
- State Vet Patty Marquis reported that Gulfstream has one of the best records of dirt tracks in the country according to the latest Equine Injury Database statistics.
- Construction of the GP expansion is on schedule to begin very shortly. Architects have been hired; city has been notified; etc. The first phase of construction includes work to the south side of the existing grandstand – hotel, casino, parking garage, and balconies connecting hotel to existing structure.
- The Miss Racing Queen Pageant continues; the first, second place winners will receive significant cash awards from the Stronach Group, the winner receiving $100,000; Miss Racing Queen will promote thoroughbred racing and will be an official ambassador at the Florida Derby, Santa Anita Derby, and Preakness. The Florida and California finals will be on Sunday, March 17 and the grand finale to choose the winner between Florida and California will be Sunday, March 24. More information at MsRacingQueen.com
- Preparations for the Florida Derby (March 30) are in full swing. Attendance is expected to be very high. There are special giveaways and events scheduled throughout the week. For more information, go to gulfstreampark.com